Sunday, August 7, 2011

Celiac Disease SUCKS!

I do not wish Celiac Disease on anyone.  It sucks.  It sucks even more when you don't find out you have it until you're almost 39.

I will say there are a lot of tasty alternatives for gluten containing food.  For the most part, I have embraced my new wheat free lifestyle.  But, every now and then, I really want to eat "real" food.  For instance when the kids are eating pizza from Pizza Hut.  I can't just grab a slice and go.  If I want to eat at a restaurant I have to send the waitress to the kitchen with a list of items from the menu to find out if they contain gluten or not.  Sometimes I can find the allergen menu online and check it out before hand.

You'd be surprised how many odd things have wheat/gluten in them.  For instance, I bought some fajita seasoning today.  Guess what?  It has wheat in it.  Regular nacho cheese flavored Doritos? Yep, wheat in them too.

I do occasionally eat a piece of regular cake or half the bun on my burger from McDonald's.  I do not tempt fate very often.   I tried that once.  It almost killed me and landed me in the hospital for four days.

So, the next time you go to a cookout and you're eating your hot dog on a bun consider yourself privileged.   

No comments:

Post a Comment