Friday, October 21, 2011

More Green Smoothie Attempts

I am really loving these green smoothies for breakfast.  My favorite is definitely Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, spinach, milk, greek yogurt, and honey.  I have made attempts at other flavors that didn't quite work out so well.  I thought I'd share them with you so you didn't make the same mistakes.

First, I really wanted to try peach and mango together.  So I put some frozen peaches and frozen mangos in the blender with the spinach and added the usual milk, yogurt, and honey.  It didn't taste so good, so I added a banana.  It was better and then I realized duh...should've used orange juice instead of milk.   I drank about half of it, but it was really too milky tasting for me.  I mean it wasn't horrible and if you like milk it would probably be okay, but it just wasn't for me.

I was going to try the peach and mango smoothie again this morning with O.J., but I am out of bananas.  I am also out of berries so I decided to try chocolate.  I first used one package of Carnation Instant Breakfast, a cup of milk, a half cup of yogurt, and lots of spinach.  I added the yogurt thinking oh it will be like ice cream and taste like a shake.  Yeah, not so much.  It tasted too much like plain yogurt.

Since I wasn't wasting a lot of expensive fruit, I dumped it all out and started over.  This time, I put in the Carnation Instant Breakfast, a cup of milk, a bunch of spinach, and a half cup of ice.  It was too watery so I added a second packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast.  Found a keeper!   Now this chocolate smoothie makes half as much as the berry smoothie did and had about the same amount of calories.  It also didn't fill me up quite as much as the berry smoothie normally does, but I think it would do if I was desperate.

2 comments:

  1. This has been our favorite green smoothie recipe so far: http://heartshapedleaves.blogspot.com/2011/09/green-smoothies.html

    ReplyDelete