Saturday, October 2, 2010

Gluten Free Product Reviews

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  This means I have to stop eating gluten.  I don't think this will be as hard as it sounds.  This may sound funny, but yesterday I was walking through the grocery store looking at all the things I couldn't have, but normally wouldn't even buy.  Just knowing that I couldn't have them made me want them that much more.

I'm amazed at the number of gluten-free products that are now available in the grocery stores.  I know just a year or so ago it was extremely difficult to find anything that was gluten free.  As I try products I will write up reviews for you all.

This morning we had pancakes for breakfast with gluten free bisquick.  Let me just say YUMMY!  The box is very small, about half the size of a normal bisquick box, and it costs about the same price as regular bisquick.  However, this will definitely be a staple in my pantry.

For dinner, we had my favorite steak pasta salad.  I used Tinkyada spirals for the pasta.  It was perfect!  My husband even said that if I didn't tell him the pasta was gluten-free he would never have known.

Last week I made spaghetti with Bionaturae spaghetti noodles.  Actually, I attempted it twice.  The first time the noodles were nothing but a pile of mush.  The second time they cooked better.  I found that you have to stir and test them constantly to make sure they don't overcook.  They were o.k., but I definitely like the Tinkyada noodles better.

Yesterday I made pizzas with Chebe's on the go pizza crust.  They are found in the freezer section. The size of the crusts were small.  I'd say just a little larger than 5x7.  The crust tastes very good, but for the price (5.79 for two crusts) it isn't a very good buy.   One crust was about the same as two small slices of pizza.  There are several dry crust mixes that have had good reviews.  There are also a couple of recipes for pizza crust on food.com that have good reviews.  Since my kids think we need pizza every friday I have plenty of opportunity to try other products/recipes.

I have also tried a few gluten free snacks.  The first is cookies.  Jo-Sef's makes sandwich cookies similar to Oreos.  They're definitely not Oreos, but a pretty close second.  Thankfully they're expensive so I don't have to worry about eating too many.

Glutino makes pretzals.  They are good and my kids approve!  I don't care how much they cost we will be buying these often.  I have some Glutino crackers and all purpose flour as well, but have not tried them yet.

Lastly I tried the sea salt flavored Sticks and Twigs from Mary's Gone Crackers.  They were kind of weird.  I'm not really sure how I feel about them yet.  They did taste good, but they had a weird texture and they made my stomach hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment